Elder Brandon Leslie

Elder Brandon Leslie

Monday, November 22, 2010

Week #10


Lately I have been extremely busy with studying and trying to meet my Book of Mormon reading goal. To finish by next Wednesday I need to continue reading 40 pages a day. I started reading a couple Sundays ago, so if I can finish by Wednesday I will have completed my goal in two-and-a-half weeks. Sometimes it's pretty tough because there are lots of words, mainly new verbs, that I've never seen before.  I haven't really had much time for writing letters back because I'm always struggling to meet my daily required pages (sorry, I still love all your news!). I'm learning a lot and definitely stretching myself though.
 
This Sunday we were honored to hear from Sheri Dew. I'd heard her name before but I didn't realize that she was such a big deal in the church and the world. Apparently she is CEO of Deseret Books. She gave an amazing talk and she was surprising logical. I didn't take too many notes but there were three things that she said we need to always remember because The Opposition, Satan, will try to make us forget. (1) Our identity. We are sons and daughters of God. (2) Jesus Christ. He is our Savior and the atonement can cleanse, heal, comfort, and strengthen us. (3) Personal Revelation. We can receive our own answers through prayer and scripture study.   
 
Last night we were even more honored and priviledged to hear from Elder David A. Bednar. This makes for our fourth apostle in a row. His approach a bit different than the previous apostles because he presented an idea that will change my framework for learning. He presented to us that there are Doctrines, Principles, and Applications. We must always preach the Doctrines and Principles. Doctrines answer "why" questions, principles answer "what" questions, and applications answer "how" questions. We can never change "how" we approach life if we continue to only improve "how" if we never know why. I have many more notes but only 30 minutes to email here in the MTC.
 
Thanks for all your support!
 
Love Elder Leslie 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment